The discreet urbanism of the bourgeoisie
Heygate Was Home!
A dead city
Like chinese boxes, this documentary not only brilliantly shows the institucional and political corruption behind the police-orchestrated hoax known as ‘4F’, which began on February 4th, 2006 in Barcelona’s calle Sant Pere Més Baix, but it also extends in a coil the understanding of horror to wider levels of society: from the police, to the judges, to the press, to social services, to the city council, to gentrification, in brief, to power in itself. Like before Joaquim Jordà’s De Nens (2003), now Ciutat Morta leads us from a particular history to the deep and terrifying comprehension of the general, of society, of the city. To the memory of Patricia Heras, the dead poet.
- “4F with names and surnames: a reflection on police, the judiciary, the press and the politicians, during the suffocating silence prior to the broadcasting of ‘Ciutat Morta’“, Jesus Rodríguez in La Directa, 21/1/2015
- “Something stinks in Barcelona“, Argelaga review, 27/1/2015
- Two petitions to sign: for the reopening of the case, and for the resignation of the Judge that seems to have written the verdict before holding the trial.
- Webpage of the movie. It is the same producer of No-res: vida y muerte de un espacio en tres actas, on the demolition of Barcelona’s Colònia Castells neighborhood.
- The mayor of Barcelona presents an award for the directors, but they do not take it: ¿how can they accept it from the same hands that have caused all this story?
The fall of the Roman Empire
The control over space, and the spaces of control: XIII Conference of Geocrìtica
From may 5th to 10th, 2014, the International conference “El control del espacio y los espacios de control”, will be held in the University of Barcelona, organized by the review Geocrítica; with the linked reviews ScriptaNova and Biblio3w, this is one of the most important and interesting publication on urban issues in the whole spanish-speaking area. The conference is public and admission free of charge; we suggest these sessions, in which some members of our OACU group will be involved: may 6th, Ocupación del espacio y control de los individuos at 9am, Segregación social y urbana a at 6.30pm; may 9th, Organización económica, poder y control at 9am, Cambios en las formas de control at 4pm.
- Here is the programme of the conference, with the list of papers and tables; for more information, visit the webpage.
- Here are the Papers of the conference, and the num. 493 of Scripta Nova with all the selected interventions!
Where there be dragons: Multiple modernities in Kathmandu
Wastelands: Weizman on military urbanism
Towards an anthropology of the good families
In our ethnographies they are often in the background, as in this photo taken by Jordi Secall in 2003 [see his blog]. But professor MCDONOGH proposed many years ago the study of the good families of Barcelona – the ‘catalan oasis’. Thursday, february 28th, 7pm at Reina de Àfrica (calle Bolivar 10, Vallcarca), debate “Towards an anthropology of catalan elites” with Gary W. McDonogh, organized by GTEEP – GRECS – OACU
- Download a chapter of McDONOGH’s The Good Families of Barcelona. A social history of power in industrial Barcelona, Princeton, 1986, in PDF (spanish) “De la família a la oligarquía” (courtesy: OACU friends!)
- Another brilliant contribution to the study of the elites: Longina JAKUBOWSKA (2012) The straw in the anthropologist’s boots: studying nobility in Poland
- Excellent reportage on how the influx of new global elites is changing the face of Europe on The Guardian webpage [march 2013]
“Re-cordar” Can Ricart: to pass it back through the heart
Istanbul, a city without limits. Documentary movie
- Ekümenopolis: Ucu Olmayan Şehir (Ecumenopolis: City Without Limits) (2011) a movie by Imre Azem, will be in Barcelona on november 15th, 8pm at Traslaciones festival in CCCB. Director Imre Azem will participate in the debate Istanbul relatos fuera de campo on wednesday 16th at 7:30pm. [Trailer1] [Trailer2] [Web]
The quality of life in Naples: between Pomigliano and Posillipo
More on Barcelona’s city center: “The Melody of Raval”, by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán
History and its distortions in the center of Barcelona
- Photos (2008-2009) of neighbors under eviction in Calle Robadors. [Album1][Album2]
- Manuel Vázquez Montalbán "The ethnical cleansing of the high classes" in El País, 14/9/1993
- "1988-1991 Crisis of heroin and beginnings of the urbanistic war in the historical center" in Masala, november-december 2009.